The Families and Workers Fund is a groundbreaking, multi-donor pooled fund designed to support the workers, families, and communities most devastated by the economic crisis caused by COVID-19 and to help build back a stronger, more equitable economy that creates opportunity for all. Launched in early April amidst the first peak of the pandemic in the United States, we were the first national, multi-donor fund dedicated to COVID-19’s economic impacts.
The Fund aims to address both the immediate need for cash assistance due to the inadequacies of our country's social safety net and benefits system, as well as the longer-term, structural change needed for workers and their families to experience the economic security, dignity, and opportunity they deserve.
Grants from the Families and Workers Fund have played a critical role in the COVID-19 economic response. A few highlights:
- Provided cash relief to at least 15,000 vulnerable workers and families who have been excluded from our benefits system and social safety net, including gig workers, immigrants, and people of color who have been forced to choose between rent, groceries, and medication amidst the havoc of the pandemic.
- Helped to unlock an additional $115 million in funding to provide direct cash assistance to 200,000 extremely vulnerable families.
- Drove equitable and comprehensive rollout of the country’s first-ever federal paid leave policy at the state and local levels so that no one is forced to choose between their health and their paycheck.
- Provided data, analysis, and communications to make the case for expanded and inclusive unemployment insurance so that laid off workers do not sink deeper into poverty or even homelessness.
Since our founding, the Fund has disbursed surge funding to more than 40 organizations and will be investing in longer-term recovery efforts in the months ahead. Acknowledging that this crisis has disproportionately devastated Black, brown, and low-income communities, the majority of the Fund’s grants support women and/or BIPOC-led organizations.
List of Families and Workers Fund Partners:
We are proud of the diverse range of foundations that have come together to create the Families and Workers Fund, including leading private, tech, and corporate philanthropies.
- Amalgamated Foundation (founder)
- Craig Newmark Philanthropies
- Schmidt Futures (founder)
- Ford Foundation (founder)
- Open Society Foundations (founder)
- The JPB Foundation
- MacFarlane Foundation
- MacKenzie Scott
- Morgan Stanley
- Omidyar Network
- Skoll Foundation
- Surdna Foundation
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation
If you’d like to stay in the loop about the Families & Workers Fund, please enter your contact information here.
If you are a funder interested in contributing to the Families and Workers Fund, learn more and get involved here.
If you are an individual or small donor who wants to contribute, please consider supporting Amalgamated Foundation’s Frontline Workers Fund here.
Please note, while the Families and Workers Fund is not open to applications at this time, interested organizations can visit www.justfund.us. The JustFund platform houses a number of funds, including this one, and all funders using the platform can view all proposals. Organizations can register and JustFund will determine if you are eligible to join. You can also reach out FamiliesandWorkersFund@AmalgamatedBank.com to share or request information.
Read the press April release here.
Read the December press release here.